Unmask Parasites turns two years old today!
This is the second article about the hacker attack against osCommerce-powered sites. In the first part, you can find the description of the attack along with detection and clean-up instructions. Now I want to show you what exactly hackers did and how they managed to poison Google search results.
The main goal is to demystify hackers and encourage webmasters to explore their own sites. The more you know about hackers, the better you’ll be at protecting your site against their attacks.
This post is based on the files and access logs of three compromised sites that I received from a webmaster who contacted me a couple of weeks ago.
A year ago, on December 1, 2008, I published my first post on this blog. Its title was “Let’s Unmask Parasites“.
Working on Unmask Parasites service, I could easily spot prevalent threats and trends in malware attacks. I used this information to help webmasters of hacked sites on various security-related forums and news groups. However, forum format assumes that you answer similar questions again and again, which is very inefficient. That’s why I decided to publish information about prevalent website security problems here. This way I could write detailed information once and then just link to my articles in my forum answers.
Exactly one year ago I purchased the UnmaskParasites.com domain name and made the first early beta version of my new service available for public testing.
One year later Unmask Parasites is still in beta but now it’s a much more mature service that has proven its viability.
Many interesting things happened during this year. I’m not a good writer to make it an interesting reading, so I’ll only list some milestones, facts and statistics here.